Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Controller
Location: Duluth, GA
Job Status: Full-Time Exempt
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE:
This position is responsible for various general accounting functions at Paran Homes, including:
- Monitoring WIP activity and accounting for new home construction activity. Maintaining accurate records of WIP and reconciling them to the controlling accounts in Sage 300;
- Accounting for all lot transactions, including maintaining accurate records of the Lot Inventory and reconciling them to the Controlling accounts in the general ledger;
- Accounting for bank loan transactions, including construction draws, lot loans, and development loans; and reconciling them to the Controlling accounts in the general ledger;
- Working with multiple banks to order weekly bank inspections, order new loans, and control all constructions loan activity;
- Recording monthly cost of sales activity and subsequent cost to complete accruals;
- Utilizing the current software (Sage 300 Contractor) to build processes and create reports that will improve accounting as well as management reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Monthly Closing Process – approximately 75%:
- Prepare, input, and document monthly journal entries consisting of settlement statements, accruals, cash postings, credit card transactions, payroll, and others as requested by management;
- Maintain Sage 300 job inventory records, including status changes, loan changes, purchases, sales, etc.
- Calculate and record monthly cost of sales and costs to accrue on completed jobs; maintain related documentation;
- Compare and analyze Actuals vs. Budgeted margins by job; maintain related documentation;
- Record & reconcile cash transactions for various cash accounts;
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for all accounts not stated above such as Inventory, Intercompany, A/R, WIP, and Liabilities, etc.; follow up and resolve discrepancies promptly.
Others – approximately 25%:
- Maintain accurate databases of Lot and WIP Inventory records as well as Loan records to enable them to be used for management reporting as appropriate;
- Assist with gathering and preparing year-end audit requirements;
- Assist with gathering and preparing tax filings wen needed;
- Serve as back-up for the Accounts Payable function as needed;
- Create and maintain accurate and meaningful standard as well as Ad Hoc reports to assist management and to support the general ledger. Assist in various projects as assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Accounting degree or equivalent experience;
Prior work experience with 3+ years in an accounting capacity, including account reconciliations;
Proficient to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel;
Familiarity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
Preferred Qualifications – In addition to the minimum requirements above:
Prior experience with Sage 300 software;
Prior experience with accounting for Home Construction & or Real Estate transactions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, stoop, walk, and sit. The employee is also required to use their hands for reaching, keyboard work, and telephone use. Talking and hearing is also required. Because of responsibilities with the remote warehouse, the employee may occasionally need to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Management retains the discretion to add or change the duties of the position at any time.